After years of waiting, we may be able to finally say, “Yes, it is.”
If you’ve been living under a rock and haven’t a clue of the history of this repressed title, I’ll shed some light into that half-constructed Death Star of yours: Free Radical began development of SWBF3 in 2006 or ’07. This was later scrapped in late ’08 by LucasArts because Haze was a big flop, and they didn’t want one of their most valuable IP‘s being ruined. Rumors (and occasionally bits and pieces of credible info) have surfaced over the years, but for the most part, this title has been dead.
Or is it? Tuggie (username TuggieGameReviews), a rising gamer virtuoso, spouted out an intriguing prediction back in June when he produced a video on why he believes that Spark Unlimited, a fairly unknown company, has been recruited by LucasArts to develop Star Wars: Battlefront 3, since Spark announced they are working on “a 3rd Person Action/Adventure sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise currently greenlit for full production development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC markets.” Is there merit to this theory? Mounting evidence suggests so.
Tuggie, who has since then partnered with Battlefront3.net, continues to release a steady stream of videos almost every week, updating viewers on any recent news and juicy finds. Recently, he updated us about a user on the Battlefront3.net forums, RogueStarkiller, who made a huge discovery…
During the week of March 5th, while Spark was in San Fran, attending a Games Developers Conference, they tweeted this:
“Having a great dinner with our publisher. Now if your are in SF and figure where I am…”
The tweet included a google map of the retaurant they were dining at. Now, wjat was only a few blocks away? None other than Lusafilm Ltd. (also home to LucasArts)! Oh, but it gets better. After dinner, they stopped by a club named the Infusion Longue. The featurette of the evening? LucasArts’ GDC. Sha-zam!
If this isn’t rock-solid evidence, I don’t know what is. Actually, I’m now completely convinced Spark is developing SWB3. May the force be with Spark, they are going to need it to live up to one of the greatest IP’s of all time.
- Rumor Patrol: ‘Star Wars: Battlefront 3′ Being Developed By Spark Unlimited (gamerant.com)
- Job Listing Hints At ‘Star Wars: Battlefront 3′ (gamerant.com)
- Rumor: Spark Unlimited producing sci-fi sequel, speculation says Battlefront 3 (joystiq.com)
- More Battlefront 3 development rumors surface thanks to Spark Unlimited job listing and resumes (vg247.com)
- Strike Down Star Wars: Battlefront III and it Becomes More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine [Rumor] (kotaku.com)
- Rumor : Star Wars Battlefront III in developement for 2012? (twfilsongamingreviews.wordpress.com)